Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tipping Story

When dining at a sit-down restaurant in the US, it is almost always a must to tip the waiter (or waitress) at least 15% of the price you pay for the meal. Such "custom" has been on my mind since years ago. To me, it didn't seem quite right.

Many times, the waiter doesn't treat you extremely well...and you might feel that he doesn't deserve 15%...BUT, you feel that you have to give the 15% anyway. Anybody, who had been living in the US for a while, would know what I am talking about.

Is it fair? ..that we feel so obligated to pay for the gratuity we did not receive. I've asked many people from many countries...none of them has such custom. It has led me to believe that the US is the only country with the 15-percent-minimum tipping custom. So...I discussed my feelings toward the matter with several friends and got the following conclusion:

Background - A restaurant owner often pays a very small wage to a waiter, knowing that the waiter will get more from gratuities. The waiter knows or expects that he will get some more income from tipping. And, that compensates the small wage he receives.

Assuming that every customer (must) always pay 15% gratuity, the amount of income that the waiter receives each day depends on the number of customers. More customer means more money. Less customer means little money. Note that, more or less customer, the waiter spends the same amount of time working.

As for the owner, he always receive the amount according to the price. If a dish of Pad-Thai costs $5 (assuming it's a total cost including everything) to make and priced at $9, he will always get $4 for each dish he sold...regardless of how many customer walk in that day.

From these assumptions, it seems that some (or a good chunk) of the business risk is transferred from the restaurant owner to the waiter. Is the waiter treated unfairly? The answer I get is, "No, not really." The waiter took the job knowing that this would happen. He was willing to take the risk. It's the best he could do in the situation.

It seems that the 15-percent (socially/customarily required) tipping is not an incentive to good services from waiters at all. It is merely a tool for risk sharing between the restaurant owner and his employees. So, I guess the good services I received sometimes are more from the heart of the waiters/waitresses than from the tipping incentive. Now...up to this point, I wonder. Why do we have to tip a waiter so much for the quality services not induced by the tipping itself?

posted by Bikku @ 2:02 PM

5 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Blogger kickoman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger kickoman said...

Hey, no offense to any waiters out there...I don't quite understand the automatic tipping system either.

I like an argument on the movie "Reservoir Dogs" where these two guys argue about tipping. (this is not necessarily my view...I just like the conversation)


Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!

Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.

Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?

Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.

Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?

Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.

Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.

Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?

Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.

Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.

Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and *beep* your *beep*?

Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

Wow...I have to get "Reservoir Dogs" some day. Thanks for sharing the dialog ;)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger kickoman said...

An interesting article about tipping:

http://money.howstuffworks.com/tipping.htm

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

Hey...thanks! I'll look more into it :)

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

About me? Oh...that's what I've always tried to find out.

I started this blog because I felt lost...without a destination. I didn't even believe I could continue this blog for so long (due to past experiences). But, here I am still...blogging away.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from chnin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary

Locations of visitors to this page