Saturday, July 30, 2005

What is so special about the last piece (ชิ้นเกรงใจ)?

A few days ago, I went to a restaurant with my friends. We ordered something (which I cannot recall no matter how hard I try) to share as an appetizer. There were five of us and six pieces of whatever it was. As usual, each of us took one...but the last one. It took quite some time, after pushing it to other people back and forth...and yadayadayada, someone finally took it. I usually try to take the last piece without hesitation because I think it's not more or less special than other pieces. But I even have to try!

A question arose...why does it take so much time until someone eat the last piece? Or, in other words, why is the last piece the most unwanted? Or is it? What is so special about the last piece?

Assuming that the food is heavenly delicious... The first thought that comes to mind is: Oh, it's because people wants to have their friends have it. It's because they love their friend. Giving is good...makes one happy...especially giving to another friend. Now...if giving up the last piece to a friend makes you happy, then giving up the last piece to your mother should make you happier. Because your mother is more important to your friend. Similarly, a mother would always give up the last piece to her children. So, that seems to make sense. (Please don't be confused now...I'm almost confused myself)

But wait! How come I am more reluctant to take the last piece when I'm dining with people I hardly know. It's more likely that I take the last piece from my friend than from someone I just met (Remember? The food is heavenly delicious). Why?

Maybe I don't want to look bad. But if I'll meet the person only once and will never meet again, looking bad doesn't really matter, does it? So, why?

In sum. When there's a last delicious piece of spring roll left on the dish, people are reluctant to eat it. And, most of the time, it's not because they want to give it for the sake of giving. Sometimes, it's not so much about personal image. My question is, then, why? Does it happen only with Thai or Asian people?

posted by Bikku @ 4:25 AM

2 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger kickoman said...

ตอนเด็กๆผมเคยตั้งทฤษฎีส่วนตัวไว้ ชื่อ ทฤษฎีครึ่งชีวิตของไข่เจียว คือเวลาที่ใช้ในการทำให้ไข่เจียวหายไปทีละครึ่งนั้นใกล้เคียงกัน (เสมือนกับว่ามันสลายตัวไปด้วยอัตรา negative exponential)

สังเกตสิครับ พอเอาไข่เจียวตั้งบนโต๊ะมันจะหายไปรวดเร็วมาก พอมันเหลือชิ้นเล็กๆ คนก็จะทยอยตัดครึ่ง ทีละครึ่ง ทีละครึ่ง จนมันแบ่งไม่ได้แล้ว ก็จะทิ้งชิ้นสุดท้ายไว้

แต่ทฤษฎีนี้ใช้ไม่ได้กับคนทุกหมู่เหล่าครับ และสถานการณ์ครับ ถ้าช่วงไหนหิวๆ ไข่ก็สลายตัวเป็น linear ได้ครับ

แต่ผมว่าเหตุการณ์แบบนี้ไม่ใช่เฉพาะกับคนไทยหรอกครับ ชาติอื่นก็มี แต่คนไทยจะเป็นมากหน่อย เพราะอาการ "เกรงใจ" มั้งครับ จนต้องตั้ง incentive ขึ้นมาว่า ชิ้นสุดท้ายแฟนสวย แต่ก็ยังไม่ค่อยยอมกินกัน (แต่ผมว่าดีออก ไม่กินก็เก็บกลับบ้านไว้กินมื้อหน้าก็ได้ฟะ)

เพื่อนคนละตินเคยบอกผมว่า ทางบ้านเขามีคำพูดว่า ชิ้นสุดท้ายแฟนน่าเกลียด แปลกดีนะครับ

ผมสงสัยว่าจะเป็นเพราะคนกินกันเร็วเกิน เลยต้องตั้ง negative incentive ไว้ให้เหลือชิ้นสุดท้ายไว้บ้าง หุหุ แต่ไม่แน่ใจเหมือนกันครับ....

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

Oh...interesting observation krub. I noticed (and did) that sometimes. Amazing jing jing how we behave :)

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

About me? Oh...that's what I've always tried to find out.

I started this blog because I felt lost...without a destination. I didn't even believe I could continue this blog for so long (due to past experiences). But, here I am still...blogging away.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from chnin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary

Locations of visitors to this page