Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Education

I am proud of my achievement in the academic world...getting a Ph.D. and all. But I can help but thinking twice in a while whether it is worth it. Sometimes I wonder whether it's because I took all the time and energy to achieve this, I convinced myself that it must be good.

I've been studying all my life. Studying as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Study just to be good at studying. Now that I'm done, I can't help thinking about what to do next. I don't know how to do anything else but to study. Well, I know how to do a few things...but I think that's not enough. I should know more (at my age).

Well, let me narrow down to the studies of Economics...my area of expertise. Interestingly enough, I know many (not all) of the theories well (and some, not well)...but I don't know for sure that a personal check in Thailand become invalid after six months, until today. And, I'm pretty darn sure most of economic students in Thailand don't know this. And, I bet most of economic students don't know where to get information about GDP, import, export, national accounts, etc. Ain't that something. Studying a lot of economics, but don't know how it actually operates.

So, what good does education have? I have given some thoughts into this, and I think the education is good and it's useful...in most case, when applied to solve real world's problems. So, useful or useless, it depends a lot on the person utilized the education.

Let's say...a person's overall ability/quality (in general sense) comes from two sources: formal education and life experience. How much do you think comes from formal education as opposed to life experience? 50:50? 80:20? or 30:70? You tell me.

Personally, and this is only my view from studying economics, I think formal education contributes less than 50%. Mostly working experience, personal expertise (perhaps in computer programming), and perhaps personality contributes a lot to one's advancement in career/life.

Should it be so? To me, I would love to see more real life and real world examples in the classroom. I would love to see students (actually) learning...not just studying. I start to see, in the field of Economics and Business (perhaps), the academic world and the real world are drifting apart...especially in higher education (i.e. doctoral).

I really have no conclusion on this one. Only that, if I ever have a chance to pass on my knowledge to younger generations, I'll make sure I teach them something simple and useful...not some high-class theory (by some developed countries' standard) with no application to a country like Thailand.

posted by Bikku @ 2:05 PM

7 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Blogger noomai said...

I actually wonder what came across your mind to be thinking this long about this (in a blog!)

I also like studying, but I also don't like studying. Does that go together? I think it really depends on the way you take it. I have been to both worlds and I think both rely heavily on each other.

As for a Ph.D., I really see it as an accomplishment. Not everybody can do it, so it proves you have something. At least self discipline. Being in an academic world, but with your personality, characteristic and surrounded environment, I'm sure you DID learn a lot of other things too. Don't worry!

I like your idea - teaching students the simple, but useful stuff. Teaching them to know how to think and apply what they know is important.

Btw, to make you feel good, I also didn't know check lasts only 6 months. And to make you feel better, the truth is that I don't know how to find jobs!! (Maybe that's why I keep on studying!! haha) Yeah... can you believe? But I take the saying 'noone knows everything in the world' -- so there goes! ;-)

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

Wow...that's probably the longest comment I've ever had here. Thanks for the encouragement na krab. I admit I'm a little bit pessimistic about my prospect, but that was just me complaining :P

I guess my main point is that I want to see more of 'practical' education (which is already there in some fields of study) in the study of economics and business. Something students can use right away when they graduate without having to go through much of additional training. That'd be nice.

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger pin poramet said...

มาอยู่ด้วยกันเถิดพี่บิ๊ก

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Twain said "Don't let schools get in a way of your education."

You're not alone though.
People in education also have the same thoughts and they have been doing something about it too.

To me, a PhD is not just a degree. I am here not because I feel like I need to accomplish advanced education but I enjoy doing this because I get to read what I am interested in and get to talk to interesting people (esp. my prof). I have the time to really formulate and organize my thoughts. I am right in the middle of resources. I enjoy the city and life outside school too. It's like a break from work really.

After all, you're in the right direction. Being practical is crucial.
That's why researchers, in healthcare at least, are trying to bridge the "know-and-do" gap this couple of year.

We can see more and more of student centered curriculum, problem based learning approach, community learning approach.

we have hopes.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger noomai said...

haha.. I think my sister is beating me for the comment length!! =P Ok... let's get the Ph.D. people to shout out!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger noomai said...

btw, I do agree with what my sis said though. :)

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be frank, I think I've lost 95% of my faith in graduate study already. Some people holding the title Prof. and having a small three-letter abbreviation following their names could be a complete 'beef jerky'... if you know what i mean.

If getting my Ph.D. means to be one of them, I won't mind terminating my study and getting myself more useful and practical thing elsewhere at all.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

About me? Oh...that's what I've always tried to find out.

I started this blog because I felt lost...without a destination. I didn't even believe I could continue this blog for so long (due to past experiences). But, here I am still...blogging away.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from chnin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary

Locations of visitors to this page