Sunday, August 21, 2005

About Bangkok


About Bangkok is a restaurant owned by my friend, Ple. And, that where I was working today. The story started with About Bangkok was in shortage of staff...and I was able to trick Natt into going with me. (If you know Natt and I, you'll know that getting us to work in a restaurant is almost impossible) ...And so we went.

I did the cashier, hosting, answering the take-out phone calls, and other small things I could. Natt was the waiter, along with Ple. Things were so hectic for me. I have to get all the prices into the bill, and I have to browse through the menu for every bill. I guess if I can remember all the prices, it'd be an easy task. But anyway, I didn't do much. This machine here (on the right) I use very often. Just swipe a credit card and punch in some numbers...I was able to charge our customers.

There was about 25 tables in and about 10 take-outs. Natt did an excellent job on the waiting. The dude was as quick as a monkey. Well, anybody who knows Natt would know that he's a neat and clean person. But man, the dude was so efficient. A customer who was paying told me to make sure Natt gets the tip. I couldn't imagine Natt in a service industry, but he did a damn good job today


The evening went quite smooth. There are quite a few things I learned there:
  • Memorizing the menu & price will make the job easier.
  • The bottleneck is often in the kitchen (it's quite tough when everybody walks in around the same time, dinner time). If cooked faster, the turnover rate will rise.
  • Kitchen floor can be damn slippery
  • Coming in as a couple, they stay on and chat. Coming in as a family, they leave quickly
  • If you sell liquor, you'll definitely sell more
  • People don't like to wait too long for their food
  • Helping each other makes the job goes a lot faster
  • A glass of whiskey after work tastes a lot better than the same glass of whiskey alone
I think I'll do it again. I start to believe that it'll make me a better person. Really.

posted by Bikku @ 1:16 PM

3 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger noomai said...

whahoo!! Natt and you in the restaurant business!! Tell Natt he looks good in that black apron!! ;-)

otsukaresama to you two.

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

น้องBiggie พี่ไปทานมาแร้ววว
แต่ว่าเป็ดRoasted Duck ค่ะ ยังมิใช่ tender duck & crispy duck
แถมไปได้ลำใยมาด้วยแหละ(^^)
และแน่นอนว่าจะต้องไปสอยสารพัดเป็ดมาทานอีกแน่นอน อิอิ

อ้อ ก่อนไปทานเป็ด ไปเดินเล่นที่Columbia Univ.มาด้วยค่ะ มีเพื่อนเรียนอยู่เหรอ เอาไว้เหงาๆจะแว่บมาบอกให้แนะนำน้องๆที่นี่ให้รู้จักบ้างนะคะ

ขอบคุณค่า

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

You're very welcome kaab. Lam-yai on the corner chai pao' ...goodeelicious.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

About me? Oh...that's what I've always tried to find out.

I started this blog because I felt lost...without a destination. I didn't even believe I could continue this blog for so long (due to past experiences). But, here I am still...blogging away.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from chnin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary

Locations of visitors to this page