Thursday, August 18, 2005

Tender Duck! Crispy Duck! (เป็ดนุ่ม! เป็ดกรอบ!)

The story begins with my recent New York day trip. I have got to go to NYC so many times this month. Every time, I have been going through the ritual of "Tender Duck! Crispy Duck!" ...more or less.

But the history of "Tender Duck! Crispy Duck!" goes way back to when NooMai and NooJill visited Ithaca earlier this year (is that right?). We went to NYC with Natt, who is an expert in New York Dining...especially the area around Chinatown. Natt took us to a Chinese food marathon eat-out. Starting with Dessert! At Cafe Ferrara, I ate a big strawberry short cake, cannoli and coffee. Then, we went to have the Tender Duck with Hoi-Jor. And we ended up at the Crispy Duck place to eat the duck and wanton + noodle. There were 5 of us, and we only ordered 1/4 of a duck and a bowl of wanton. Fortunately, the waiter didn't kick us out :P All the food were so delicious, but we ate 'til we couldn't anymore.

Ever since then, we (Natt & I) do the "Tender Duck! Crispy Duck!" ritual every time we take someone new to NYC. But since last week, we add the Mini-Salapao (เซียวหลงเปา) in to the sequence.

Yes, I went to NYC twice in a week already. Last Thursday, I went to apply for a Visa to Japan with Natt and Aim. I couldn't eat that much due to lack of sleep the night before, I guess. We started the Mini-Salapao thing.

I went to NYC again to pick up my Visa yesterday with Natt, Ple, and Pap. This time we had a long sequence of eating. We started off with a delicious Chocolate-filled Croissant from Payard, one of the best in NYC. Then, we went for the Tender Duck, where we had Duck (of course), pork leg (ขาหมู), and Hoi-Jor (หอยจ๊อ). The Crispy Duck was up next. And not just the duck, we had wanton and noodle too. The strange thing is that both restaurants didn't serve hot tea at all. Made us very เลี่ยน (sorry, I cannot find a word in English). But we continue on anyway to the Mini-Salapao place.

A mistake at the Mini-Salapao place was to order two set of the Salapao (8 pieces each). I ended up eating six pieces, and each piece is not small too. Delicious and overwhelming...good thing they serve hot Chinese tea there (Thank you).

In the end, we stopped by Cafe Ferrara for ice cream on the run. We had to send Pap at Port Authority by 6PM. And, we had about half an hour starting from Chinatown. With the traffic, we might not make it. So, Ple took Pap on the subway. They got there just in time to buy the ticket but not for the bus if it left on time. Luckily, the bus was an hour late. Pap got on the bus and reached DC on time. Everybody goes home happy...and very very full.

P.S. Sorry, no photos of the food...because we ate them too quickly :9

posted by Bikku @ 1:09 AM

5 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger noomai said...

yeah.. yeah... ped noom and ped krob. I always drool when I think of them!!! :9

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger kickoman said...

Where did you get these tender duck/crispy duck? I am a big fan of NYC chinatown too. We have to go to Bo Ky for เป็ดพะโล้ and pork legs everytime we go to NYC. Chinatown dimsum and thai food at 1D (วันดี 1) are also on top of our list ;)

Good stuff.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

I think Tender Duck is the เป็ดพะโล้ you talked about na. Perhaps it's the same restaurant. I think the Crispy Duck is on the corner across Bank of America. Sorry I'm very bad at remember or even recognize the name. As for Thai food, I like Sripraphai in Queens (I think it's on 39th near Roosevelt Ave).

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger kickoman said...

Have you tried 1D? It's great!

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of china town NYC too. Golden Unicorn is always my number one choice ka. Will try to get a chance on เป็ดนุ่ม เป็ดกรอบ someday. :)

PS. จั๊ว has been closed down [more precisely, taken over by Nine-D's] since my sophomore year ka.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

About me? Oh...that's what I've always tried to find out.

I started this blog because I felt lost...without a destination. I didn't even believe I could continue this blog for so long (due to past experiences). But, here I am still...blogging away.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from chnin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary

Locations of visitors to this page