Saturday, November 05, 2005

My View of Japanese (Language)

I've been more or less 'casual' about writing this blog, and I want to keep it that way (although my head is full of all the serious thoughts). Today's story evolved from my 2-month experience with the Japanese language.

Though difficult as many people might already know, the language also explain so much about Japan in many senses. Here are a few observations...

Verb is at the end of a sentence: This is like the first thing a foreigner would notice about the language...because it's difficult for them. But well...there's no right or wrong. Just because we are used to the verb in the middle doesn't mean it makes more sense to be there.

This tells me a lot already. Communication usually comes in a batch of sentences. Mostly, I can never really understand the point until the sentence is over. It explains (at least to me) why Japanese are polite and patience (not quite the words I'm looking for, but sort of). Not only because they have to wait until the end of a sentence, but also because they absorb the essence of the language into their life. Patient, they've become.

Various forms: Japanese language has soooo many forms of things. Plain form. Polite form. Super polite form. Honorific form. Humble form. Form for self. Forms for referring to others. And I'm not making these up (except the "Super Polite" one :P)

So what does it tell me? Japan's social system is not only seen in practice, but also embedded in the language. The first word that came to my mind was "tight". I see this as both good and bad thing. The social system, which has (or had, I don't know) worked well since after WWII, is pretty difficult to penetrate. People seems to be happy about their life.

But, some people might say that it sucks (please excuse my language). The system is so strict; there's no flexibility...especially for younger people. Those who comes from a more-liberal social system would feel uncomfortable, especially in the work environment. Everything must be accordingly.

Tough position, indeed. All I can say is that social unity comes at a cost of individual freedom.

Language barrier: Sorry I'm going beyond the language itself. But I can't leave out the great hardshell of Japan. Here...nobody speaks English (of course, it's an exaggeration). But if you are here, you'll understand what I mean. They do speak English, but only when they really really have to. Japan also translate everything into Japanese, for example, books. Tons of foreign books in Japanese.

Anyway, I just recently learned that Katakana is not just for a foreign language. What's written in Katakana might sound similar to English (or any other language), but it's not. It's Japanese, and should be read accordingly...otherwise nobody wouldn't understand what you are talking about.

The language itself is quite difficult to master. I heard it'd take at least a year to actually use (talking and reading and writing) Japanese in everyday work & life. In a way, the language barrier protects Japan from various things outside. It's not easy to get immediate employment because of the language. It's also not easy to sell things to a Japanese if you cannot communicate well with them.

Well well well...there is no conclusion for this blog. Just scattered ideas and impressions of the country related to its language. Anybody, any more ideas? I'm just going back to my vocabs laew la. A big test next week /(o o')\

posted by Bikku @ 1:11 AM

11 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger noomai said...

Japan's considered a very high-context society because everything is omitted as if you would already understand it.
I agree that the social norm is pretty tight, judging from the language form you should comply with. But I realized that even in such set discipline, you still have slight flexibility in there (yes, SLIGHT!). Why? Do you realize that in one sentence, as long as your verb is at the end, anything comes before it doesn't have a fixed place to stay? (9時に駅の前に会おう、駅の前に8時に会おう・・・)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Bikku said...

Indeed...thanks for the addition na krab :D There are much more interesting things I didn't realize. So...keep them coming ne~

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Smart lazy" is something TOTALLY OPPOSITE what we could describe a Japanese.

P'Big's right..."everything must be accordingly" no short cut, and even though I consider myself a person with integrity, I found it very frustrating.

I used to work in Osaka for 2 months in 2000 and another 2 months in 2001 and those 4 months were really frustrating.

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u right that we have to wait untill the sentence end to know what the main point of the story is.....BUT no all the time....sometime japanese verb is way too longgg(like polite verb.)...i know what they r saying already , know already what they wanted me to do....but i still have to waitttt....and let them finish their sentence first....
and it is very annoying when i am the person who have say say say and finish the sentence While i already know that they got me already.....tired.....haha...but yet interesting...

pplr around me always facing a very strict japanese society....according from what they bon'bon' gun....but for me.....my teacher my frds are all crazy!!even at my work place....umm.....so.....japanese not always like what u think ne....;)

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

Yey...got the trio eek laew :D
(I shouldn't have been there in the middle luey ne...)

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ข้อให้สอบได้นะค่ะ
สู้สู้^^
อย่าลืมไปดูไดหวานน้า
อิอิ

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger noomai said...

next time wait til you get three of our comments before saying anything! haha

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

พี่เคยอยากทำรีเสริชประมาณ Japanese language and mind มากๆเลยค่ะ แต่ท่าทางจะต้องใช้เวลามากมายมหาศาลในการเขียนธีสิส (ดูท่าทางจะเป็นอะไรที่มากกว่า socio linguistics ธรรมดา เลยไม่สามารถสนองความกระหายใคร่รู้ของตัวเองได้ 55)
สังคมญี่ปุ่นบางทีก็ทำเราเครียดจริงๆแหละ แต่บางครั้งพอมาเทียบกับสังคมที่นี่ มันก็ทำให้พี่เห็นอะไรๆที่เป็นข้อดีของญี่ปุ่นขึ้นมาได้มั่งเหมือนกันค่ะ ^^

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Bikku said...

(^__^) I've been here for about 2 months now. Still love Japan. The study is getting so hard though (-"-)

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

สู้ๆนะครับ มันก็มีเสน่ห์ทางภาษาของเค้าอยู่ ถึงแม้จะสับสนไปนิด พอเราเข้าใจเยอะขึ้นมันก็บันเทิงขึ้นมาอะครับ

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger NoTtO said...

น่าสนใจมากๆ เรื่องนี้ ไว้ว่างๆขอเอาไปแตกเขียนเรื่องพวกนี้ในบล็อกบ้างดีกว่า มีอีกหลายๆอย่างในภาษาญี่ปุ่นที่มันมากับนิสัยคนญี่ปุ่น

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

About me? Oh...that's what I've always tried to find out.

I started this blog because I felt lost...without a destination. I didn't even believe I could continue this blog for so long (due to past experiences). But, here I am still...blogging away.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from chnin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary

Locations of visitors to this page